Who doesn’t like Nachos? I am a lover of all food that is Mexican. After spending a year in Mexico, I fell in love with the country and mainly the food. Ok, so this is not Mexican as such, more Tex Mex, but like I said, Who doesn’t like Nachos? and even better Quick Delicious Nachos.
This is a recipe we have at least once a month,(twice if it is my turn to cook). It is a quick simple and slightly healthier version than those that you would get at a restaurant. This can be modified to how you would prefer it. It is great for chilled Friday night dinners or a quick fix when you feeling for some comfort food. I also scrounge around my fridge for leftover meat or veggies and add in to bulk it up a bit.
The basic recipe is super simple and the ingredients are probably things you already have in your fridge or cupboards.
We always have a bag of corn style chips in the cupboard, Doritos, Big Corn Bites, etc. This is the easiest route for a quick dinner. Sometimes I have leftover tortillas in the fridge, which I would then bake for about 15 mins on a tray in the oven to get the same sort of effect. You could also fry them but this would not be the healthier option. For Banting Nachos please see my Homemade Keto Tortilla Chips Recipe for how to make your own at home.
The Salsa consists of onions and tomatoes. That’s it. Chopped finely. If I have a bit of fresh coriander in the fridge, I normally chop up a little and add to the salsa. Try to get the onions finely chopped so that they get evenly distributed in the salsa.
Cheese: Mozzarella, cheddar anything you like or have will work. Better to have a more natural cheese that is not too processed as you won’t get the perfect melt on top.
Other additional toppings
I love sweet jalapeños which I normally get in a jar at the supermarket. This is a staple in our house. If you have fresh, or unsweetened jalapeños this can work just as nicely. Bell peppers give it a really nice tang as well. I would throw in a 1/4 chopped bell pepper to add a different flavor to the mix.
leftover pulled pork (Best-pulled pork recipe), steak strips, shredded chicken, or fried bacon bits. I have even used leftover Viennas chopped up as a topping, to my surprise this went down quite well with hubby. Feta cheese is a nice bonus, as well just a sprinkle over the salsa when you are putting together can give that rich salty flavor.
Quick delicious Nachos
- 1 bag corn chips
- ½ to 1 Onion
- 5 Tomatoes
- 2 Jalepenos Optional
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ¼ Fresh Coriander
- ¼ cup Feta crumbled
- 2 cups Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream as garnish
- Avocado pieces as garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray a large oven proof dish with spray and cook, just to make sure all that delicious chips and cheese are easy to remove.
- Layer corn chips at the bottom of the dish. Even the chips so that it covers the bottom of the dish.
- Peel and chop onion finely and add to a mixing bowl.
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces. It is ok to use the juice of the tomato or if the tomatoes are a little chunkier. Add to the mixing bowl
- Do the same with the coriander and jalapeño, chop finely and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper and mix ingredients.
- Layer the salsa on top of the corn chips so that they cover the chips evenly.
- Spread crumbled feta over the salsa. If you are adding any meat options, this should be placed on top of the salsa.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven until cheese has melted to gooey texture.
- Plate nachos and add a little sour cream or avocado pieces on the side goes great with this tasty dish.
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it, please don’t forget to give me a star rating in the comments below. And if you’d like to get in touch, you can email me on firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to hear from you.