Quick and Easy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, made with quick-cooking oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, ready in under 20 minutes!
Oatmeal Cookies are soft and chewy with brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon flavors. This oatmeal cookie recipe is about as easy and old fashioned as it gets, and it’s definitely one of my personal favorite cookie recipes. You can add any seasonal spices you’d like to these cookies, like nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or allspice.
I like to use quick-cooking oats. First, quick oats tend to make the cookie softer. Second, I always seem to have a box of quick oats in the cupboard. Instant oatmeal also cooks faster, however, you can use rolled oats should you have this type instead.
Brown sugar helps give the cookies a deep flavor and golden brown color. If you have only white sugar, this won’t be a problem, just substitute cup for cup with white sugar. When using brown sugar be careful not to over bake as the cookies crystalize quite quickly and would lose moisture ad become hard. Brown sugar also helps the cookies have their chewier texture.
- Using Brown and white sugar gets the best tastiest results. For a richer flavor use dark brown sugar.
- Use a baking parchment paper/silicone mat on a baking tray so there is no stickiness.
- If you like the cookies to be crispy then bake for about 15 minutes.
- If you like the cookies a bit more chewy then bake for 11 minutes.
- Always let cookies cool on a rack
- For a different flavour or if you don’t have any chocolate chips available, add 1/2 cup of raisins, cranberries or blueberries for a fruity flavour. You can also use dark chocolate chips for a less sweet flavour or even white chocolate chips for even more sweetness.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 cups Instant Oats
- 1 cup Butter softened
- ¾ cup White sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit / 190 degrees Celcius
- In a mixing bowl, cream together with an electric mixer the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until lightened and fluffy
- Add in eggs and vanilla essence and mix well
- In a seperate bowl, Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and oats together
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix till combined. Do not over mix.
- Use a tablespoon worth of dough and roll the dough between the palms of your hands in to a bal, place ball on prepared parchement paper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes (the middles will look slightly undone, but the edges will have a hint of brown). For crispier cookies bake for about 14 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it, please don’t forget to give me a star rating in the comments below. And if you’d like to get in touch, you can email me on firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to hear from you.