If you have ever tried or done Banting/Keto, you know there are no carbs what so ever. How can life go on without those delicious carbs? Well, this is a great alternative when you missing those crunchy snacks. These Homemade Keto Tortilla Chips are amazingly crunchy and delicious.
Hubby and I tried Banting for about a year, which was great but in the end it did not really work for me as planned. As for my hubby, well, he lost a lot in a short amount of time and he thoroughly enjoyed being on this diet. My mum has also been doing it for several years and it works amazingly for her. She swears by it. So as a little snack these tortilla chips work great. Banting is friendly and great for making your own homemade nachos.
What is the Banting / Ketogenic diet?
- The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used mainly to treat hard-to-control epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.
- The Banting diet is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, named after its founder William Banting. The idea behind this diet is that when eating a diet with lower carbs and higher fat makes your body shifts from burning carbohydrates for energy to burning fat.
- Normally carbohydrates in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is important in the brain function. But if little carbohydrate remains in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone acids, the latter passing into the brain and replacing glucose as an energy source.
What to Serve with Keto Tortilla Chips
- Crispy, crunchy and perfect for dipping! These low carb homemade keto tortilla chips taste just as good as the real thing, but with a fraction of the carbs. You can make simple guacamole and salsa or even make some delicious nachos.
- Guacamole – Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavours.
- Pico de gallo – ripe red tomatoes, white onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime and salt. Chop your tomato, onion, jalapeño and cilantro finely and you will be rewarded with more flavour in every bite. Sprinkle with lime and salt to taste.
- Try to have all the ingredients measured and ready before starting to make this recipe. I promise it will help as the process goes on. You need to work quickly once the cheese has been heated.
- Roll out the dough super thin without any breaks in the dough to get the perfect crispness.
- This recipe calls for psyllium husk but If you don’t have psyllium husk, use 2 more tbsp of almond flour instead.
- We seasoned ours with chilli and garlic powder but you can keep them plain with just salt and pepper or use any of your favourite seasonings.
Homemade Keto Tortilla Chips
- 2 cups Shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup Almond flour
- 2 tbsp Phyllisum husks
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Onion powder
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Place shredded cheese into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Add all the dry ingredients on top of the cheese and mix till combined. Try to mix immediately once the cheese is out of the microwave and still hot and flexible.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper or cling wrap on a clean counter. Place cheese dough on the middle of the parchment paper. Take a second piece of parchment paper and place on top of the cheese dough, and use a rolling pin to roll out as flat as possible without any breaks in the dough.
- Remove top parchment paper. Cut the dough into triangles. Remove and place on a baking tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it, please don’t forget to give me a star rating in the comments below. And if you’d like to get in touch, you can email me on firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to hear from you.